Jain Temple

Hot Spots

India Links
Call Home


Art & Culture
Book Shelf


Chat and Blog

About Us

Contact Us
About Us
Advertise to NRIs

Immigration to the US and North America >> Immigration >> Useful Immigration
USCIS Homepage  - Home page of the US Citizenship and Immigration Services
Visa Bulletin - Monthly Visa bulletin issued by the State Department - contains important dates like priority dates etc.
American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) - A national association of immigration lawyers established to promote justice, advocate for fair and reasonable immigration law and policy, advance the quality of immigration and nationality law and practice, and enhance the professional development of its members. Ask questions to Immigration Attorneys
Lawyers.Com A very useful site to locate lawyers
Immigration Help - popular and active discussion forum for those looking to exchange processing dates etc
ImmigrationVoice - Online discussion forum and group for prospective immigrants
Top H1-B - Listing of Top 100 employers filing for H1B Visas in recent years
This page is focused on Immigration to the US. For information on immigration to Canada, visit our new Canadian Immigration section

USCIS Phone Numbers :
California service Center   - (949) 831- 8427
Nebraska Service Center  - (402) 323- 7830
Texas Service Center       - (214) 381-1423
Vermont Service Center   - (802) 527- 4913
FBI           - (304) 625 5590

US State Department, Immigration Visa Numbers (Updated every month) (202) 663 1541

US Immigration Forms and Acronyms

Note : Some or all of the information given below may have been compiled from various other sources and we do not claim ownership. Use this information for general knowledge only. Your lawyer is the best person who can give you legal advice.

Form ETA-750 Labor certification request. Filed with "Department of Labor's Employment and Training Administration.
Form I-140 Immigrant Visa Petition.  All employment based cases are filed only with Service Centers.
Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. Also known as AOS (Adjustment of Status). Approval of I-485 is the final step to get Green Card.
Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization. Commonly know as "Employment Authorization Document". Can be filed together with I-485.
Form I-765 Card Signature Card. Used for preparing your "Employment Authorization Card".
Form I-131 Application for Travel Document. Commonly known as "Advance Parole". Can be filed together with I-485.
Form I-797 Notice Of Action. Receipt Copy or Approval Notice. Could be for H1, EAD, AP, I485 etc.
Form G-28 Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative. Authorizing your lawyer to file your application on your behalf.
Form G-325 A Biographic Information.Details of your Residence and Employment in last five years. Also, brief family detail.
Form I-693 Medical Examination. You might need supplementary copy for vaccination. For medical examination you can only go to the designated INS physicians.
Form I-94 Departure RecordIssued by immigration officer at the port of entry.
IRS Form 9003 Tax related details.Don't have to attach copy of any tax filing except if you are self-employed.
Form I-134 Affidavit of Support.To sworn for your personal, dependants and financial details.
EAD Employment Authorization Document. This document is required to work in US after filing I-485 if you don't have a valid H1.
AP Advance Parole. After I-485 is filed and waiting for approval: This document is required for re-entry if you don't have valid H1. You should carry all 3 copies in original and also the receipt of I-485.
FP Finger Printing. Done while your I-485 is pending.
RD Receipt Date. Applications are stamped with the time and date of physical receipt, not the time and date they are actually opened.
ND Notice Date. The date when your information is keyed into the INS computer system and fees processed by the Data Entry unit.
RFE Requests for Evidence. When an application or petition is not immediately adjudicable, a request for additional evidence or other documentation is generated. The applicant/petitioner has 12 weeks to respond.
EB Employment Based Immigration. There are 5 categories in EB immigration. EB1 thru EB5. Employment Based Immigration cases are always filed with service centers.
FB Family Based Immigration. FB immigration cases are filed with local district INS offices.
IIO Immigration Information Officer.

Documents Required for I-485 

1. Form G-28. If filing through a lawyer.
2. I-485, Application to Adjust Status, with copy of I-94 and 2 photographs(Immigration photo).
3. I-131, Application for Travel Document, with copy of passport identity pages and 2 photographs (Immigration photo). If you intend to travel on AP instead of valid H1. If you continue to maintain your H1 after filing I485 then you don't have to get AP for travel.
4. I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, with copy of passport identity pages and 2 photographs (Immigration photo). If you don't maintain valid H1 then you need this document to work. If you travel on Advance Parole then your H1 is void and you will need EAD to work.
5. I-765 Card. This is your signature card. This is used to prepare you Employment Authorization Card.
6. G-325A, Biographic Information.
7. I-693, Medical Examination, with copy of vaccination.
8. Evidence of valid nonimmigrant status, with copy of both sides of I-94, copy of entire passport, and written summary of beneficiary and spouse nonimmigrant history.
9. IRS Form-9003. Answers to Tax related questions. Attach copy of tax filing if filed as self- employed.
10. Photocopy of I-797 and copy of I-140 petition filed.
11. I-134, with financial documents.
12. Birth Certificate.
13. Marriage Certificate.
14. Employment Letter.

Travel Options after Filing  I- 485 

There are only 2 situations possible for travel after you have filed I-485.
Case 1: You maintain your  H1 visa status.
You can travel using your H1 till the validity of your H1. You should also carry your I485 receipt (not a must or requirement but as a precautionary measure). There is no other document required but it's a good idea to keep at least the employment verification document. The officer at the port of entry might ask unexpected questions, you never know.

Case 2: You don't maintain your H1 Status or cannot maintain it  (because of 6 year cap) and instead work on EAD.
You need Advance Parole and I485 receipt for re -entry. You do not require EAD for re -entry. However, when you enter USA on Advance Parole then your H1 is automatically void. Now, how will you work if you don't have a valid H1 (it's void because you entered on Advance Parole)? Answer. You will need EAD. So EAD is required for working after you have entered USA on Advance Parole.
NOTE: Once you have entered USA on Advance Parole then you can not go for renewal of your H1. It will be a fresh H1 and will be effected by quota cap.

Employment after Filing I-485 

Option 1: You maintain your H1 even after filing I-485. In this case you don't need EAD. You can continue to work on H1. You can travel using your H1 and don't need an Advance Parole.

Option 2: You need EAD for work if you don't maintain a valid H1 or you can't maintain a valid H1 (because of 6 year cap). With EAD you can also take up a second job. In any case you can not leave your sponsoring employer. In this case, you will need an Advance Parole for travel.

NOTE: You can get an EAD after filing I485 even though you have a valid H1. In this situation you can say, you have valid EAD and valid H1 both. However, you can continue to maintain and use H1 as long as you don't use your EAD (example, used EAD for second employer), because use of your EAD will void your H1 validity. Also entry to US on Advance Parole instead of H1 will void the validity of your H1. Once your H1 is void then you have to have EAD for work and Advance Parole for travel.

Documents required for  I - 765 (EAD)

SOURCE: Page 5, PART 3, in I-765 instruction.


Please assemble the documentation in the following order:

Your application with the filing fee. See Part 4 FEE for details.

If you are mailing your application to the INS, you must also submit:

  • Form I-765 Signature Card. If one is not enclosed with your application, ask your local INS office for one. Sign the card in the blue box marked "signature". Your signature must fit within the blue box. DO NOT fold this card when you mail your application.
  • A copy of Form I-94 Departure Record (fron and back) if available.
  • A copy of your last EAD (front and back).
  • 2 photos with a white background taken no earlier than 30 days before submission to the INS. They should be un-mounted; printed on thin paper; glossy; and un retouched. The photos should show a three- quarter front profile of the right side of your face, with your right ear visible. Your head should be bare unless you are wearing a headdress as required by a religious order to which you belong. The photo should not be larger than 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 inches, with the distance from the top of the head to just below the chin about 1 1/4 inches. Lightly print your name and your A#, if known, on the back of each photo with a pencil.





Buy Visitor's Travel Insurance
Get A Quote



GaramChai © 1999-2017 || Terms of Use