GaramChai.com >> Mosques >> Islam Masjid, Islam, Muslim
In The Name of Allah, the Beneficent,
Islam is among the key religions practised in America, a land of immigrants.
Islamic Mosques, Masjid
and other Indian places of worship can be found across
the US, Canada and North America where people the subcontinent
including India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and other regions
congregate to socialize and worship. Check out a comprehensive listing of Mosques online. If you are aware
of a South Asian Mosque that is not listed, please send
us a note and we will be glad to add it to our database.
Official US Government Viewpoints:
- Remarks by the President at Cairo University, 6-04-09 | The White House: We meet at a time of great tension between the United States and Muslims around the world -- tension rooted in historical forces that go beyond any current policy debate. The relationship between Islam and the West includes centuries of coexistence and cooperation, but also conflict and religious wars. More recently, tension has been fed by colonialism that denied rights and opportunities to many Muslims, and a Cold War in which Muslim-majority countries were too often treated as proxies without regard to their own aspirations. Moreover, the sweeping change brought by modernity and globalization led many Muslims to view the West as hostile to the traditions of Islam. . . . We meet at a time of great tension between the United States and Muslims around the world -- tension rooted in historical forces that go beyond any current policy debate. The relationship between Islam and the West includes centuries of coexistence and cooperation, but also conflict and religious wars. More recently, tension has been fed by colonialism that denied rights and opportunities to many Muslims, and a Cold War in which Muslim-majority countries were too often treated as proxies without regard to their own aspirations. Moreover, the sweeping change brought by modernity and globalization led many Muslims to view the West as hostile to the traditions of Islam.. . . The Holy Koran teaches that whoever kills an innocent is as -- it is as if he has killed all mankind. And the Holy Koran also says whoever saves a person, it is as if he has saved all mankind.
- Muslim Americans Serving in the U.S. Government | The White House
- YouTube - Muslim Americans Serving in the U.S. Government: The United States government reflects the rich diversity of the American population.
- U.S. Official Discusses Muslim Life in America: Farah Pandith, a senior adviser to the assistant secretary for European and Eurasian affairs at the State Department, answered questions in a February 28 Ask America webchat on Muslim life in the United States.
Islam Related Websites
- DVD on Amazon.com: A visit to a Mosque
- Book on Amazon.com: Story of a Mosque
book entitled “Strategic Planning
and Implementation for Islamic Organizations” has now been published by the International Institute of
Islamic Thought. For more details visit and Islamicity.com
- Council on American-Islamic Relations The
Mosque in America: A National Portrait.
- The Official Website of Journal of Islam in America Press
Centers Online Has
information about various Islamic centers. Mailing list,
prayer schedules and locations.
Life in America-
Office of International Information Programs, U.S. Department
of State: Islam is one of the fastest-growing religions
in the United States today. According to one recent survey,
there are 1,209 mosques in America, well over half founded
in the last 20 years. Between 17 and 30 percent of American
Muslims are converts to the faith. Adding to this populace
of Muslims are those of Indian and Pakistani origin in the
Aims to safeguard the common values that bind the world's
two largest secular democracies (India and USA).
new blog on "The
Topics covered on the blog include: The Leadership Process
of Muhammad (s) from Hadith, Islam and Stress Management
(Part 1),Tolerance and Diversity in Islam,Principles of
success in light of the Seerah,Sample Code of Ethics for
Muslim Businessmen, Workplace rights for Muslims and fighting
discrimination and Strategic Planning and Implementation
for Islamic Organizations, strategic management and conflict
management. For more details E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
or log on to : http://www.coba.unr.edu/facultystaff/profile.asp?id=15&user=beekun
in the West Program - The core seminar series, Islam in the West , brings scholars
and experts on contemporary Islam and Muslims in Europe,
the United States and the Muslim world at large.
Articles on Islam in America
- Five myths about Muslims in America - WashingtonPost.com What myths are behind the entrenched beliefs that Muslims simply do not belong in the United States and that they threaten its security?
- The face of Islam in America - USATODAY.com She talks of nurturing a genuine American Islam, rooted in the classical faith, which dates back before the theological, political and legal schisms fractured the Ummah, the Muslim world, centuries ago. This is the faith she chose at age 23, drawn in, she says, by Islam's beauty, its ethos of service and its synthesis of life and faith in which every act relates to God.
- Al Jazeera English - Islam in America : In a special two-part documentary Rageh Omaar journeys across the United States exploring the story of Islam in the country. He attempts to discover if - far from being fundamentally incompatible – Islamic America holds the seeds of a lasting solution to global discord between east and west.
- Islam in America's public schools: Education or indoctrination
- Islam in the United States - Wikipedia: The earliest documented cases of Muslims to come to the United States were two West African slaves: Ayuba Suleiman Diallo, who was brought to America in 1731 and returned to Africa in 1734, and Omar Ibn Said in the mid 19th century. There has been some speculation that a Moor slave Estevanico of Azamor, who had converted to Christianity 14 years before his arrival in North America in the early 16th century, was at least the first born Muslim to enter the historical record in North America.
- That Muslim in the White House | Britannica Blog
This new series, written by leading scholars for students and general readers, portrays the diversity and complexity of religious life in America, focusing on the influence of Western society as a major challenge that religious groups will face in the 21st century. Both works contain profiles of noteworthy individuals, suggestions for further reading, glossaries, chronologies, and a list of web sites. Gillis (theology and Catholic studies, Georgetown Univ.) provides an excellent survey. In the chapter "Who Are the American Catholics?" for example, he breaks down types of Catholics by geography, ethnic background, and income; charts and informative statistics supplement the text without becoming tedious. This title includes a detailed synopsis of the history of Catholicism, with special emphasis on Vatican II and the tensions between Rome and AmericaApartially due to issues such as women's ordination, birth control, and abortion rights. Smith (Islamic studies, Hartford Seminary) writes a general introduction to Islam as practiced by American Muslims. Islam in America outlines the influences of a secular and materialistic Western culture, the keenly felt prejudices on the part of non-Muslims, and the misunderstandings between Muslims that often arise when they try to balance cultural expectations with the value system of the conservative Middle East. Of special interest is the chapter on African American Muslims and other smaller groups. Highly recommended for academic and public libraries. [For more on Islam, see "Bridging the Gap: Islam in America," LJ 10/1/98, p. 59-63.AEd.]AMichael W. Ellis, Ellenville P.L., N -
Book: Islam in America