Hindu Temples
Jain Temples
Phone Card
Art, Culture
About us
Contact us
About us

Temporary Workers in Canada and Life in Canada ....from GaramChai Canada

GaramChai Canada >> Immigration >> Live and Work in Canada
In this section, you will find information on Working in Canada, Canada work visa, work permit and other details that will help your temporary stay in Canada really comfortable. Every year, over 90,000 foreign workers enter Canada to work temporarily to help Canadian employers address skill shortages. If you are looking for basic information on filing for Canada Work Permits or authorization, you may check out the section on "Working Temporarily in Canada" from CIC (Citizenship and Immigration) Canada, the official Government of Canada website Work-Permit holders and Temporary foreign Workers in Canada. You may also be interested in our Work Permit FAQ section of

While the majority of foreign born people working in Canada are immigrants who have moved after getting a permanent residency, people from other nations also move temporarily either to peruse higher studies or to work. The challenges faced by temporary workers and those on work permit in Canada are unique since they form a very small minority of the population, though most of them are highly skilled in their vocations.

Software organizations - including Infosys, Wipro, TCS, Satyam, IBM, Accenture, CGI, iGate, EDS, Microsoft- occasionally sponsor temporary work permits for specialists, computer programmers, architects and others to live and work in Canada for a short period of time. Universities also sponsor international professionals and academicians to work as a part of their campus recruitment or Off-Campus Work Program. There are unique challenges faced by Work-Permit holders and Temporary foreign Workers in Canada as compared to immigrants. For one, immigrants (permanent residents) are here for the long haul while those on work permits know that they are in Canada for a fixed length of time. In this section, we feature some unique challenges faced by temporary workers in Canada.

Unique challenges faced by Work-Permit holders and Temporary foreign Workers in Canada

Key actitivites for newcomers to Canada

Practical Information: Social Insurance Number

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine digit number used as a national identification number. You will require a SIN card to work in Canada and to receive government benefits such as Canada Pension Plan and Employment Insurance You may download a copy of the application from the Service Canada web site

What are the essential documents that must accompany a SIN application ?
You will need a primary document that proves that your identity and status in Canada. If the name on your primary document is different from the one you are currently using you will need to provide a supporting document (marriage certificate or certificate/court order of name change). The following documents are acceptable as proof of identity for temporary and permanent residents. They must be originals

The Service Canada website gives the details of the Proof-of-Identity requirements for the different status in Canada. You will need the following documents at the SIN office

  • Passport
  • Work Permit
  • Verification Of Employment letter from the employer
  • Filled-in SIN application form

What is a supporting document and when is it needed?
A supporting document is a legal document, which reflects the name you are currently using. It is required when the name you are currently using does not appear on your primary document. The type of supporting document required depends on the reason for the change.
For example:

  • If your surname/last-name changed by marriage, you must submit a marriage certificate
  • If your name changed by law, you must submit a Certificate of name change (certificate or court order made under a provincial change of name act or similar legislation)
How do I submit my SIN application ?
We encourage you to apply for your SIN in person at the Human Resource Centre (addresses on the back of the application form). It is faster and more convenient as it does not require you to part with your valuable identity documents. You may also apply by mail; you must send your completed application form and identity documents to:

Social Insurance Registration
P.O. Box 7000
Bathurst, New Brunswick, E2A 4T1, Canada

Your document(s) will be returned with your SIN card. Please note that we are not responsible for document(s) lost in transit. It is suggested that you visit one of the offices to complete an application form.

When is a fee charged ?
No fee is charged for a first-time application for a Social Insurance Number card. A $10 fee is charged for the replacement of a SIN card (if lost or destroyed). Acceptable methods of payment are by personal cheques, bank drafts or money orders payable in Canadian funds to the Receiver General of Canada. A legal name change is considered an amendment to your SIN card: but not a replacement and no fee is charged.

Human Resource Centre Office Locations

Bank Accounts

You can open an account with any "Schedule I Banks". [Schedule I banks are domestic banks and are authorized under the Bank Act to accept deposits, which may be eligible for deposit insurance provided by the Canadian Deposit Insurance Corporation.] It may be preferable to open an account with a large bank with a wider ATM and branches. For instance, BMO Bank of Montreal, CIBC, RBC Royal Bank, Scotiabank (The Bank of Nova Scotia) and TD Bank have nationwide presence. More about banking in Canada from Canadian Bankers Association (CBA). You may need the following documents while opening a bank account:

  • Passport,
  • Work Permit and
  • Employment letter (from employer)

Some banks may need additional documents for verification. After opening an account, you will have to deposit funds or Travellers Cheques before you can operate the account. While you are at the bank, collect the following information:

  • Your newly opened Bank Account number
  • ATM debit card to use the ATM
  • A few blank cheques - these are needed until you get your cheque book
  • Application form for the credit card (if you are eligible)

You would need a bank account, cheques and drafts for most financial transactions including renting an appartment.


Search and other information


This section of will attempt to address some of the Frequently Asked Questions on Life in Canada that immigrants, visitors and others from different cultures attempt to address. If you have any additional inputs or wish  to see more topics addressed, mail us at

Insurance Channel

Buy Visitor's Travel Insurance
Get A Quote



© 1999-2010 || Terms of Use